Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Day

I've been sick most of this week, and have fallen grievously (by my standards) behind in my courses. So I am counting on this weekend as a big catch-up time.

I got up at 8:30, unusual in and of itself. I went to bed at 10:30 last night promising myself a good 12-14 hours of sleep (I needed it), but I seemed ready to get up at 8:30, so I did.

With breaks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I spent nearly all day at my desk doing math. I have to admit that the math was interspersed with web-surfing, which is a very bad habit of mine that is hard to break. Nevertheless, I was at my desk from about 9:30 AM until about 10:30 PM with only a couple of hours of breaks, which means I got a lot done even though I didn't work consistently all day (and the ratio of surfing to work increased as the day wore on).

Here is what I did:
  • Reviewed about five sections of my old calculus textbook to learn/remember what there is to know about power series, Taylor polynomials, and Taylor series, on that level.
  • Completed the homework due last Wednesday in Advanced Calc II.
  • Wrote my academic-oriented resume (or slightly CV-like document).
That doesn't sound like much, but it actually was. The homework was long and involved some concepts I felt shaky on, so I had to do a lot of exploratory work to really get it. I think it is a good homework.

Oh, and about the CV/resume. I was asked to send one to the graduate director of one of the programs I've applied to because they want to submit me for a university-wide fellowship that they think I have a good shot at. So that is very exciting! The professor told me that the resume (he did not call it a CV) did not need to be anything "fancy" so I just buckled down and did it without trying to make it ultra-perfect. There is not that much to say, really. I basically took my regular resume, put academic things on top of the work things, and very concisely summarized the work things so they wouldn't be bored out of their minds by lists of industry-specific software packages I know, etc.

Here is what I hope to do tomorrow:
  • Finish the abstract algebra homework that is due Tuesday.
  • Go over the material I missed in seminar Friday, and start on that homework. (It is due Friday, but I need to start early to give myself a good chance to think about the hard parts between now and then.)
  • Get a good start on the advanced calculus homework due Wednesday.
Between now and tomorrow morning, I have one very important task:
  • Get a good night's sleep.
So I will go do that now. Best wishes to you for a productive (or relaxing, as you choose) weekend!

No comments: