Sunday, April 12, 2009

When Inanimate Objects...Cooperate


Tonight, I had to clean the kitchen. It was pretty bad, both because we hadn't cleaned it all week and because Ed finally unpacked some ancient boxes and donated some more equipment that was all over the counters. Over the course of the day, we ran five (5) dishwasher loads, and in addition to putting in that fifth load, I had to handwash a few items and then clean the counters and stovetop. It's not really that huge of a deal, but I was feeling overwhelmed by it. I also felt that if I didn't do it, I would never want to come home again.

I decided to try listening to my iPod in case it would help. Music is generally motivational.

Now, I have to admit, I skipped the first couple of songs that came on. But then I got this amazing assortment of, for me, possibly the very finest collection of songs to get some shit done to:

1. "Rapture" by Blondie. A fantastic beat, plus the story it tells fascinated me as a kid.

2. "Touching the Untouchables" by Men at Work. All right, this is not a great song. But I had this album on tape as a kid, recorded with my tape recorder from my almost-brother Thad's record player, so it brought me warm childhood feelings.

3. "Disco Inferno" by the Trammps. I can hardly imagine a better song to work to. So catchy! So hot!

4. "No One Knows My Plan" by They Might Be Giants. Yet another energizing song with a recognizable dance beat. The fact that the narrator is probably a serial killer is just a bonus when you're stuck scrubbing counters at 9:00 at night...

(All links go to Youtube videos featuring the studio versions of the songs.)

No comments: