Thursday, June 29, 2006

Weekend Plans

I'm taking tomorrow (Friday) off and, at the last minute, our boss decided to give us Monday in addition to Tuesday off, so I'm looking down the barrel of a 5-day weekend. (Is that the worst use of metaphor ever?)

Tonight, Mosch and I are going to pick up a certain child we know (whose mom is a bit concerned about freaks on the Internet, thus the caginess) and take her home with us. She'll spend the night and hang out with us all day tomorrow too - what fun! She's a very smart, talented, and game 10-year-old, and for some reason, she likes us too.

We don't have any big plans (at my insistence), but she's bringing a bathing suit and a tennis racket so presumably we might swim and/or play tennis. It's a safe bet we won't sit around discussing epistemology all day. ("What do you suppose we should do next?" "Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by 'suppose'...")

I don't have any other weekend plans, but oddly, one of the things I'm most looking forward to about having 5 days off is being able to come spend some time at work dealing with the dreadful things that keep accumulating on my desk. My whole office is like a ball pit full of vipers, waiting to strike at any moment. And for some reason, it's very hard for me to take care of certain kinds of things (organization; filing; my job) while other people are around. Part of it is psychological, but part of it is because some of the people I work with continually disrupt my concentration by talking to me about crap. (For instance, I can be in the middle of an intense, time-sensitive, intense-concentration-requiring project, and my boss will still come in and say things like, "You know...I've been thinking...next week I might have you start working on..." Tell me about it next week!)

No comments: