Thursday, May 11, 2006

15 Week Plan

This week is the first of 15 weeks in which I do not have school. Even though I still work full time, it feels like a vacation. I haven't taken the summer semester off in a few years, so it feels great. But I tend to also feel bored when I'm not in school.


Therefore, I present...the 15 Week Plan.


First, a little bit of background. I'm fat now, but a few years ago I was much fatter. I'm currently about 55 pounds below my highest weight. I started exercising sometime after my Wonderful Roommate moved in, and later, in March of 2003, I started actively trying to lose weight.


I lost nearly 70 pounds by eating less and exercising (sounds obvious, right?) but at the end of last year, I gained back about 20 of them. After that, I enlisted the help of the coworker I was eating out with every day (bad!) and we joined Weight Watchers together (good!) and since then I've lost about 5 pounds in four months. That's not great, but otherwise I likely would have gained weight over that period, so it's not terrible either.


Oh yeah, the plan. I'd like to lose 15 pounds in these 15 weeks and also get more in shape. (Note: 1 pound per week is slow for some people, but for me, it's about as fast as I've ever lost weight, not counting right at the beginning.) I already have an exercise goal of 180 minutes per week, which I make about 2/3 of the time, but I'm sharpening up that goal and my eating habits in a few ways.


Here is the basic eating part of the plan:

  • continue counting calories with BalanceLog
  • for snacks, eat only stuff that doesn't make me want more of it (i.e., no Doritos or chocolate chips)
  • continue eating lots of vegetables
  • try to eat more fruit

and the physical part:

  • get a personal trainer and meet with this person weekly or so at my local rec center (I have an appointment) so I can...
  • develop a strength-training regimen
  • take six weeks of tennis lessons (I signed up for these already)
  • exercise at least 30 minutes every single day (not on average, but actually every day) except Monday
Oh, and I'm also re-learning Calculus 1 and 2 this summer so I can take two calculus-based classes in the fall (Calculus 3 and Probability and Statistics). But that's for another post (maybe).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, so ambitious!

I three times was able to lose 7 pounds in 9 months, by far a record for me, so a pound a month sounds good to me, let alone a pound a week.

So exciting! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is Sally, but I really can't be arsed to "choose an identity" just to post to some totally random blog. You know.

Anyway - I agree 1 lb a week is a great amount if you can get it, or rather, lose it. My weight loss seemed to occur, if not over actual geological timespans, in a way that would require the still shots of my progress to be sped up a la the "acorn turns into magnificent, stately, elder [as in old/wise/with seniority, not as in the kind of tree - though this makes me wonder how widespread "mind your elders" puns are in mixed-tree forests] tree" videos we saw in elementary school if it was to be viewable in a single person's lifetime.

rvman said...

Sally's diet does work - I can vouch for it since I accidentally lost about 5 pounds on it.