Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Week 2 Update

So, this is week 2 of my 15-week weight loss & fitness plan.

Week 1 went really well - I stayed in my calorie budget for the week, ate more fruit than usual (thanks partly to the seasonal cheapness and availability of blackberries, blueberries, and seedless watermelon), and got a lot of exercise. As was my plan, I exercised every day except Monday, and ended up with a total of 320 minutes for the week, which is well above my general goal of 180 minutes, and is actually pretty good. (In an ideal world, I'd like to get an hour a day, but I'm not willing to adjust my life to make that happen right now.)

Mosch (my delightful roommate) and I played a lot of tennis - probably four hours over the course of the week. (The best thing was playing over 2 hours on Friday night, after dark, at a nearby park with brightly lit courts. I don't get tired when it's dark and cool, and I play excellent tennis.) In addition, I swam laps at our local rec center once or twice, and had a walk one night.

My weight went down 4.6 pounds between last Monday and this Monday, which is of course encouraging, but mostly results from my having been well off plan for a while, so that I had some easy water weight to lose. I'll be lucky to see a pound come off in any one week from this point on.

So far this week has gone well also. Mosch is out of town for 12 days, so tennis is out, though I do have a coworker signed up to play with me on Friday. Last night, having packed gym things in the morning, I was able to stop on the way home from work and walk 2 miles on the track inside the rec center, and today I have my swim things with me.

And tomorrow night I meet with my personal trainer for the first time!

1 comment:

Tam said...

I should really clarify that by "excellent tennis" I mean "excellent relative to my usual terrible tennis play", not excellent in the sense that a moderately competent person wouldn't completely destroy me in straight points, let alone sets.