Thursday, May 25, 2006

Week 3 Update

This is Week 3 of my 15-Week Plan. So far, I have remained on plan very well. I have ended each week within the week's calorie budget (last week I was under by some 350 calories, which is nearly unprecedented), and I have exercised for at least 30 minutes every single day except Mondays.

For me to do anything for three straight weeks is pretty awesome.

In addition to meeting with my trainer, I have gone to the rec center and done strength training by myself twice, and I plan to go again tonight. I'm getting the different weights to the correct levels, so that I almost can't do the planned number of reps. The whole routine takes me about 45 minutes, which includes the time I spend warming up by walking a few laps on the small track there, and time stretching at the end.

I gained 1 to 1-1/2 pounds between last week and this, for no good reason. I think it's because of the strength training - not because I've miraculously put on 2 pounds of muscle in a few sessions, but just because starting strength training makes your body retain more water. Actually, any unusual increase in activity seems to make my body grab some extra something. I think my body just wants to make sure it's ready for the next Stressful Episode.

Anyway, it is not my job to make the scale go down. My job is to follow the plan (and, occasionally, analyze the plan to see if it's working, of course). In any case, I have "officially" lost about 3 pounds at this point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am somewhat embarrassed to confess that reading about this weight training brought to mind a sudden and vividly clear image of your head on the body of that ubiquitous internet female body builder/trainer ... Jillian Michaels? That was disturbing.

Let us all take a moment to reflect on our good fortune that I do not have the Photoshop skillz to make that image a reality.